The photos reveal the stages of renovation for the 1910 Percy Everett designed Ballroom at Osborne House, which was officially opened by former Cr Eddy Kontelj on Australia Day 2017.
Eddy was instrumental in the Osborne Park Association achieving a grant from the City of Greater Geelong for the restoration works. The OPA contributed $10,000 [raised through events held at the property over the past 6 years and a donation from the closure of the Cement Museum] plus 808 volunteers hours at an estimated value of $20,000 – this being in keeping with the Association’s aims of preserving and protecting Osborne House.
The Shire of Corio owned the building for over 52 years [1937-1993] and this had been their function room until the Branscomb Room was added in the 1970’s – now leased by the Geelong Branch of the Vietnam Veterans Association. The Ballroom was then divided into 5 offices and a meeting space.
Removing the office partition walls revealed the grand space built for Mrs Parrington when she insisted the ballroom/dining room and 7 bedrooms above be added by then owner , the Geelong Harbour Trust when she leased the property as a High Class Guest House. Unfortunately, Mrs Parrington, who also operated the Oaks Guest House in South Yarra, skipped out on her 5 year lease after only 12 months, leaving the Harbour Trust a little red faced for the expenditure.
Our next fundraising efforts will be to restore the grand fire place and over-mantle.
To that end we invite community groups to consider holding their next exhibition or event in our beautiful ballroom.
Contact the OPA secretary Susan on 0424373214